Tuesday, 13 January 2009

A Scottish Sortie

After Christmas, Steve and I forged northwards to Scotland, we reached the Scottish border where we took some photos, and where unfortunately the norovirus took a firm grip of my stomach...

The photo is blurry - why were my hands were shaking so badly?
a. Because of the cold
b. Because I was about to projectile vomit
c. Both of the above

We stayed one night with my mum's cousin before Steve heading up to Edinbugh & I spent more time with other extended family members in the Scottish borders. I had a great time with them all, they were amazingly welcoming and hospitable.

-8 degrees Celcius, freezing fog. A good morning to visit a Great Aunt in a nursing home,
and try to disuade her about going out for a walk/wheel (unsuccessfuly I might add)


I headed up to Edinbugh for Hogmanay, the night itself was fun, even if the street party was a little over-rated. The fireworks and the company were amazing however!





View over part of Edinbugh from Arthurs Seat

Steve climbing to the top (or not)

View from the castle



Post Edinburgh we ventured onto Dundee where I have some more family. More amzing hospitality was recieved and I will most definitely be heading back that way as soon as I can, although I will wait for warmer weather!

On the way back home we did a side trip to the Falkirk Wheel just north west of Edinburgh, it got the engineer inside me excited!

The amazing Falkirk Wheel, it joins 2 canals, lifting canal boats 35m from one to the other.

It rotates, and only costs £10 in electricity a day because it is so well balanced.

We also stopped in Newark to stay with an old flatmate and visited Lincoln which is a really pretty town.

All in all, a good trip with good travelling companions and wonderful hosts.
Scotland, you did yourself proud.

No comments: