Friday, 15 June 2007

Northern Sweden Kiruna & Abisko

From Tornio we headed down into Sweden, had a rather uneventful day & night in LuleƄ which consisted of trying to prevent further accomodation problems.
 
Northwards again, we made our way by train to Kiruna, an iron mining town in the Arctic Circle. It was cold and raining so there was not too much to see, there was a railways convention on, whoopie!
This was the point where Nathan left to head back to work in Stockholm, he jumped on a 20 hour train that took him back home, I marched onwards to the tiny villiage of Abisko.
 
What a place! The scenery reminded me of Fiordland and Queenstown, but with birch trees instead of beech. The town is right on the edge of a National Park, so i was obliged to go for a couple of hikes while I was there.
 
The (awesome) hostel runs dog sledding tours in the winter time and the owner Tomas keeps a pack of 53 Huskies, imagine feeding them!
The hostel also has a Wood Sauna, which I decided to give a whirl. Interesting experience, a few mental pictures I'd rather forget but worthwhile nevertheless...
 
I thought this place was fantastic, if anyone is keen to go dogsledding in March next year give me a bell! You'll get to see the Auroura Borealis...

No comments: