Wednesday, 20 June 2007

Bergen, Copenhagen

Bergen really lived up to the stories I had heard:
 
- It's way nicer than Oslo
- the train ride over is spectacular
- it rains 275 days a year.
 
On the train ride over I met possibly the one and only Norwegian with a thick (dirty?) kiwi accent. I was talking to the girl working in the cafe (if you don't have a seat reservation you end up spending a whole lot of time in the cafe) and turns out she had spent 6 months or so in Glenorchy and had developed a genuine kiwi accent, complete with kiwi slang like 'random'. quite funny I thought.
 
I had all up just under 2 days based in Bergen, on my first afternoon I caught a funicular (what the Welly cable car is) to a viewpoint and made my way back down the mountainside, and wandered the city for the evening.
 
It was raining on my second day, I made the most of it by doing a fjord tour called 'Norway in a Nutshell', it was well worth it and I got to see some pretty spectacular scenery. I must say though that if you have been to Milford sound or anywhere in Fjordland then the beauty of Norway's scenery loses a bit of its gloss.
What did crack me up though was all these Japanese and German tourists who were surrounded by this amazing scenery but were taking photo's of the seagulls around the boat! c'mon! get real.
 
Overall Bergen was a great town to visit, I wish I had a bit more time there to have a look around the city itself a bit more, but not this time.
 
I'm now in Copenhagen (I caught a couple of ferry's and a train to get here) and enjoying it. I've just spent the day cruising around the city with Jeremy, a Canadian guy in my dorm which was cool. Tomorrow I'm going to head to Århus and check out that city. A visit to Carlsberg brewery is also high on the agenda, maybe in a day or 2...

2 comments:

Andrew Roxburgh said...

Hey Lucas! slept in any bushes lately? Enjoying your blogging and looking forward to catching up in London one of these days.
rox

AmiDA said...

hit your blog when searching for a boat trip from bergen to copenhagen :)
you inspire me to do norway in a nutshell.. or the likes :)
and you are so right about bergen and rains!!